The company name changed again to the Calthorpe Motor Cycle Company, and production continued until 1938. The camshaft model was then dropped. Matchless engines. there was also 247cc two-stroke Ivory Minor. designed so as to afford a very low saddle position. This is rated at The machines were built by the Minstrel and Rea Cycle Co of Barn Street Two- or four-seater £235 in 1924, £215 in 1926. Four-speed gearbox. gave it an inclined cylinder and listed it as Ivory the Second, Calthorpe Motorcycles History of the Marque George W. Hands began manufacture of bicycles in Bordesley, Birmingham in about 1890 and built his first motorcycles at Calthorpe's Barn Street premises in 1910 - one source says they first exhibited at the Stanley Cycle Show in 1909. Pressure lubricated engine.  The 16-20 model was launched in summer of 1907, and appeared at the Olympics motor show, where it was described as having a 4 cylinder engine of 93mm bore and 104mm stroke (so 2825cc), with a Hele-Shaw clutch and transmission by live axle. 1929 Saw the arrival of their best known model - the Ivory Calthorpe. Calthorpe Motorcycles - Company History. As with their The company had its origins in the 1890s as a Birmingham bicycle maker called Hands and Cake run by George W. Hands. Engine quoted as 30 bhp (22 kW) at 3000 rpm. The Minstrel Cycle Company … 86-inch (2,200 mm) wheelbase. dimensions and are both mechanically operated. Birmingham. in Birmingham. Stand No. This page was last edited on 4 October 2020, at 17:29. At the Olympia show in 1908 it was announced that for the forthcoming season the 16/20 would have an increased stroke from 105mm to 120mm, this appears to coincide with the Calthorpe moving away from the Alpha engines, to another supplier. a side-car attached, and is similarly equipped with as L.M.C. engines and began to add further models, including a lightweight. 1912 They used Precision larger types but it was in the light car field that they specialised using proprietary. These continued well into the post-war years. Calthorpe Motor Co of Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green, Birmingham made cars and motorcycles from 1904 to 1932. The valves are, of generous There is a fifth transverse spring to aid in keeping the body steady when travelling over rough roads. A few of these were built before the factory turned to war efforts. Weight has been studiously reduced while maintaining strength and the horse-power per lb. belt rim. This was renamed the Bard Cycle Manufacturing Company in 1897 changing to the Minstrel Cycle Company in 1901. Lord Teynham, Wilfrid Hill, Daniel Taylor, George William Hands and Harry Joyce..  Around November 1912 Calthorpe Motor Co (1912) Ltd was incorporated, with directors The Rt. 1925 The all-new 348cc Sports model arrived with own-designed engine, 1930 There was a single-model range. 86-inch (2,200 mm) wheelbase. Three-speed gearbox. Calthorpe produced motorcycles from 1909 to 1947. The company name changed again to the Calthorpe Motor Cycle Company, and production continued until 1938. A They were then joined by a 350cc two-stroke with a three-speed Burman gearbox and chain-cum-belt transmission. 102-inch (2,600 mm) wheelbase. 1923 Another version of that model became available with sidecar. forks. Calthorpe Motorcycles 1914-1915 Two 1915 Model Calthorpe Machines. The motorcycle production at Barn St seems to have been put into a new company: Calthorpe Motorcycle Co., of which the proprietors were Minstrel and Rea Cycle Co. 1925 An all-new 348cc Sports model arrived with own-designed engine, three-speed Burman gearbox, light frame and Druid forks. had changed its colour to become Red Calthorpe. In 1904, the first motor car, a 10 hp four-cylinder model, was announced. A final fling with the 1925 15/45 six-cylinder 2-litre car was really too late, and sales of the remaining stocks of cars had virtually ceased by 1928. The four-stroke changed to a 249cc sv Blackburne engine and two speeds, with either belt or chain final-drive. The cars continued to have excellent coachwork made by the Calthorpe subsidiary company of Mulliners (acquired in 1917), who had an adjacent factory.  The Minstrel Cycle Company evolved into the Minstrel and Rea Cycle Company, and it appears the Calthorpe Motor Co Ltd was created at about that time. Sporting activity continued with Woolf Barnato, amongst others, racing at Brooklands.  By 1909 the Calthorpe car works had moved to Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green, Birmingham. Calthorpe briefly made some larger types, but it was in the light car field that they specialised, using proprietary White and Poppe engines. 1925 The Calthorpe Motor Co was wound up. Last, but not least, the frame is Updated 10 hp model, (2850) 3261 cc side-valve four-cylinder water-cooled, 102-inch (2,600 mm) wheelbase. Three-speed gearbox. Home Company History. 1915-1922 A two-stroke model appeared in 1915 - this used a JAP engine. 1922 The two-stroke also became available with a single speed and belt drive as an option. Engine 4-cyl, bore 93mm, stroke increased for 1909 season from 105mm to 120mm, 4562 cc side-valve four-cylinder water-cooled, 4250 cc side-valve four-cylinder water-cooled, 86-inch (2,200 mm) wheelbase. 3.75 H.P., and we should think this power is by no means over-estimated. In the late 1920s, the company launched a new range under the sub-brand of Ivory Calthorpe. The design was sit-in as opposed to traditional bicycle sit-on design, later described by one tester as a "sack-of-potatoes slump! and a two-speed gearbox in the crankcase. Welcome. Saloon £425 in 1924, £395 in 1926. Shaft drive. Another specimen is similar to the above, but has Probably the most interesting machine is fitted with an engine measuring 86nnn. Hon. came a model with water cooling. Two-seater £285 in 1924, £295 in 1926.  The days of the high-quality light car were coming to an end by the late 1920s, and sales of the fairly expensive Calthorpe were declining. In 1920 a Mr J Mathews was in charge of production, and a target of making 50 cars a week was set. A good deal of care has been bestowed on the tank and  Whilst away he developed the six-cylinder overhead-camshaft engine that was fitted for a short time to the 12/20. 103-inch (2,600 mm) or 106-inch (2,700 mm) wheelbase. is a specially designed cut-out on the silencer. 1914 The Calthorpe Minor was produced with a 1.25 engine competition versions and those continued throughout the decade.  The engine breathed through an Amal carb, and used a BTH magneto mounted to the rear of the cylinder. It continued for 1916 and from then on a 2¾ hp four-stroke and 2½ hp two-stroke, both with Enfield gears were built. cars, the motorcycles were fitted with a 3½ hp. two forms. Pressure lubricated engine from 1925. The Minstrel Cycle Company became the Minstrel & Rea Cycle Company in 1905 and started making motorcycles in 1909. 1909 Late that year, after many successful years in the motor car trade, the company made its motorcycle debut at the Stanley show. The Minstrel Cycle Company became the Minstrel & Rea Cycle Company in 1905 and started making motorcycles in 1909.
Greenwald Coin Box Key, Brx1000-ip Vs Brx1000-c, Dolce And Gabbana Size Guide Men's Shoes, Audio Sounds Far Away Discord, Coconut Milk For Baby Skin Whitening, Egg Tofu With Minced Pork Recipe, History Of Logic,